This website cannot be viewed properly using this version of Internet Explorer.

To ensure your security while viewing this site, please use a modern browser such as Chrome or update to a newer version of Internet Explorer.

Download Chrome (Made by Google)
Update Internet Explorer (Made by Microsoft)


Second Judicial District Court

Tribunal del Segundo Distrito Judicial

English Español

Most Popular Pages

Páginas más visitadas

Once a child support order or custody/visitation order has been entered by a New Mexico court, modifications (or changes) can be requested.

If a modification of child support is requested (whether an increase or a decrease), then the Child Support Guidelines are usually followed.  Modification of child support amounts may be possible if there are material and substantial changes in circumstances.  If the new calcualtion of support will go up or down more than 20% of the current support payment (ie. current support is $240 and the new calculation is $150) and more than a year going by since the previous order for support is a type of "material and substantial change."  The Child Support Worksheet must be completed to modify a child support order.

New Mexico law assumes that "joint custody" is best for children.  Joint custody means that both parents make legal decisions (ie. school, doctor, dentist, activities in which the child participates), spend time with the children and are involved with them.  Joint custody DOES NOT necessarily mean equal time, where the children spend half their time with one parent and half their time with the other.  Equal time-sharing is possible in joint custody, but other arrangements are possible as well.  The judge may not order 50-50 custody unless a counselor or a psychologist recommends such an arrangement.

Parents whose current child custody or visitation arrangement no longer works for them may need to request a modification.  The Court has continuing power to modify custody orders at any point in time.  There are two ways in which this can happen.  The parents can both consent to modification at any time.  If the parents agree, a motion and proposed order could be filed and will be reviewed by the Court before a final order is issued.  If the parties do not agree, a motion could be filed and the Court may review the matter.  The parties may also opt for medication services through the Court Clinic.


400 Lomas Blvd NW
Room 119, 1st Floor 
Albuquerque, NM  87102










General Hours
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
General questions will be answered and forms may be picked up

Self Help Interview Hours
***All in-person interviews have been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19.

Disclaimer:  All efforts are made to ensure that information and links are accurate and current. However, users should not cite this information as an official or authoritative source and are advised to independently verify all information. Visitors to this site agree that the Second Judicial District Court of the State of New Mexico is not liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided. Information contained on this web site should in no way be construed as legal advice. Users should contact an attorney if they require legal assistance or advice.