Canyon descending through the Sandia Mountains

Second Judicial District Court


Explore Section

Name Change

A name change in New Mexico is a judicial procedure which allows an individual to assume a name other than the name given at birth or adoption. 

If granted, the court will issue an order so the individual may prove the adoption of the new name in order to change other documents such as driver’s licenses, bank accounts, and identification cards.

In order to a get a court order changing your name or a child’s name, you must file a petition in the District Court in the county where you live.  After you file your petition to change the name, you will get a court hearing.  Before your hearing, you will have to put a notice in a printer paper in the county where the applicant resides for two consecutive weeks.  If you are trying to change the name of your child, you will also have to let the other parent know so that s/he has a chance to come to court if s/he doesn’t agree.  If both parent agree, they can both sign documents consenting to the petition to change their child’s name.

For Change of Name – Adult Forms, click here.

For Change of Name – Under Age 14, click here.


400 Lomas Blvd NW
Room 119, 1st Floor 
Albuquerque, NM  87102


 Phone: 505-841-6702




General Hours
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
General questions will be answered and forms may be picked up

Self Help Interview Hours
***All in-person interviews have been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19.

Additional Resources

Information for Kinship Guardians

Family Court Forms

Civil Court Forms

Community Legal Services

Local Rules

Interactive Child Support Worksheet

Arbitration Forms

Settlement Facilitation Forms

NM State Judiciary Self-Help Guide