Canyon descending through the Sandia Mountains

Second Judicial District Court


Explore Section

Family FAQs

When is the best time to go to Domestic Relations?

Generally, mornings and midweek are less busy. However, the Domestic Relations Division does stay open through the lunch hour for your convenience.

How do I get a copy of my divorce decree or other document?

It is usually best to come to the Domestic Relations Division office. (Please see our address and hours to the left of the page.) However, if you need something basic, such as a certified Marital Settlement Agreement and Final Decree, you may mail your request with the following:

  • Exact full names of both parties
  • Case number and year the case was filed, if at all possible
  • Approximate filing dates for the requested document(s)
  • Self-addressed envelope (business size or larger) with enough postage for two ounces
  • $5 money order or cashier’s check made payable to the Clerk of the Court

What is the difference between a DR case and a DM case?

There is no difference. All DR cases were converted to DM in 1997 to allow consistent reporting throughout the state.

Do I have to hire an attorney?

It is in your best interest to work with a licensed attorney. However, if your case is simple, you may wish to do the research and prepare your own paperwork, download certain forms or purchase certain forms from the Court. Please understand, however, that the clerks and Judge’s staff, by law, are not permitted to dispense legal advice or analysis. For legal advice, always consult a licensed N.M. attorney.

Do you take checks, debit cards, or credit cards?

Payments allowed are cash, money order, or cashier’s check made payable to the Clerk of the Court.

Why can't you help me with my question?

Court clerks are prohibited from dispensing legal advice in any manner. Certain forms and limited assistance in procedures are available from the Self Help or Domestic Violence Divisions.


400 Lomas Blvd NW
Room 240, 2nd Floor
Albuquerque, NM  87102

Office Hours
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Public Service Windows Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Phone: 505-841-7421

Family Division Resources

Family FAQs

Court Fee Schedule

Case Lookup