The term "Pro Bono" means "for the public benefit" and involves efforts to improve access to the justice system for those of limited economic means.
The Second Judicial District Court's Pro Bono Committee is co-chaired by Civil Division Judges C. Shannon Bacon and Alan M. Malott. The Committee is made up of attorneys and support staff who work in both private and public agencies as well as Court support staff. The Committee, in conjunction with the State Bar of New Mexico and numerous public and private lawyers, has developed a Volunteer Attorney Pool which provides individuals with volunteer attorneys at no cost. In addition, the Committee has fostered the development and presentation of a monthly Civil Law Clinic here at the Courthouse, free legal fairs, also known as Law La Paloozas, throughout Bernalillo County on a quarterly basis, and regular Family Law and Estate Planning events. All services provided through the Pro Bono Committee are at no cost to low income residents. For a listing of planned events, please consult the calendar on this page.
Pro Bono Committee
The following individuals serve on the Pro Bono Committee:
- The Honorable Alan Malott (Co-Chair)
- The Honorable C. Shannon Bacon (Co-Chair)
- Charles Archuleta (Kelher & McCloud PA)
- Larry Kronin (Pegasus Legal Services for Children)
- Torri Jacobus (2nd Judicial District Court Self-Help Director)
- Renee Valdez (Metropolitain Court Self-Help Director)
- Janet Blair (Public Relations)
- Kelsey Green (2nd Judicial District Court Staff Attorney)
- Katherine Gibson (2nd Judicial District Court Staff Attorney)
- Theresa Parrish (Rodey Law Firm)
- Mariposa Padilla Sivage (Sutin Law Firm)
- Alan Wainright (Law Offices of Alan Wainright PA)
- Billy Burgett (Law Offices of Billy Burgett)
- Rachelle Klump (2nd Judicial District Court Deputy Court Executive Officer)
- Gabriel Campos (ADA Coordinator and Human Rights Officer, City of Albuquerque)
- Aja Brooks (New Mexico Legal Aid)
- Dina Aflek (New Mexico Legal Aid)
Pro Bono Legal Clinics
Civil Legal Clinic
The Civil Legal Clinic takes place the first Wednesday of each month from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. in the third floor conference room of the 2nd Judicial District Court (400 Lomas Blvd. NW, Albuquerque). Attorneys provide free legal information on all civil legal issues with the exception of family law. The Civil Legal Clinic is first come, first served, and attendance is limited to the first 25 people who arrive (depending upon attorney capacity). Interpreters are available, and we encourage attendees to bring any related paperwork for the attorney to review. The Civil Legal Clinic is sponsored by the Second Judicial District Court Pro Bono Committee and the Volunteer Attorney Program.
Family Law Clinic
The Family Law Clinic takes place the third Wednesday of each month from 10 AM until 1 PM in the third floor conference room of the 2nd Judicial District Court (400 Lomas Blvd. NW, Albuquerque). Attorneys provide free legal information on family law issues, including Divorce, Child Support, Custody, Visitation, Mediation, Paternity, Kinship/Guardianship, Domestic Violence, Adoption, and Settlement Facilitation. Pre-registration is required and attendance is limited to the first 25 people who pre-register. Call the Volunteer Attorney Program at 1-877-266-9861 to pre-register. Interpreters are available, and we encourage attendees to bring any related paperwork for the attorney to review. Sponsored by the Second Judicial District Court Pro Bono Committee and the Volunteer Attorney Program.
Law La Palooza